Just before Christmas, whilst doing my weekly grocery shop at my local Coles I found the Maybelline range on sale (from memory it was 40% off). So I decided to give the Maybelline Color Drama Intense Velvet Lip Pencil‘s a go. Full Price they are $10.95 so at 40% they are only $6.57 each!
When I first saw these they reminded me of the Nars Lip Pencil range. I do have a couple of these and I love the ease and convenience of application especially when out and about for touch ups. So I wanted to give these a go and for the price…I couldn’t leave them there!
They only had three colour options in my store so I grabbed them all as they were colours I thought I would wear on a regular basis. Two nudes: Minimalist, Love my Pink and a red: Light it up.
On the website it states: ‘Surrender to all out colour! Color Sensational brings a new super saturated velvet lipstick in a hot new pencil format! With a semi-matte finish, lips go bold with a new intensity.
Why you’ll love it:
• Our slim pencil packs double the pigments of ordinary lipstick.
• Contours and fills lips.
• Nourishing oils enrich our formula for a smooth semi-matte, velvet finish.
For best results: Apply around the lip line, then lightly blend to the centre. Apply as needed for a fuller look.’
Minimalist: Peach toned nude which is semi matte. This one is my favourite!!
Light it up: Is a nice bright red with a semi matte finish.
Love my pink: A cute pink with a bit more a sheen than the other colours. It is brighter than Minimalist but still a nude in my books.
What I like:
- Ease of application.
- I don’t need a lip liner, I can just use one product and I’m done.
- They are creamy, smooth and highly pigmented.
- Easy to throw in your purse or bag for on the go touch ups.
What I don’t like:
- They do not fit into my Mac sharpener! This sharpener has both a normal size and a large pencil size sharpening option. So I am not really sure how I am going to re-sharpen them?!?!?!?! I will need to look for a sharpener to fit these, surely Maybelline will have one in their range??
- After a couple of hours wear my lips started to get that dry feeling. Not the feeling you normally get with a matte liquid lipstick. More of a feeling when you are out in the wind and need to apply lip balm. This said, a lip balm solved the problem.
- They did need to be re-applied after eating.
Have you tried these lip pencils? What was your favourite colour? Let me know in the comments. xx
If you would like to be kept up to date of new blog posts you can subscribe via email or follow me on instragram: @shellie_belle_